Our GeoTrail consists of 20 geocaches hidden at sites of environmental significance to help you learn more about our county and the environment.
Ever heard of geocaching?
If your answer is no, you better go check it out.
A GeoTrail is a series of geocaches that center around a common theme. Our GeoTrail’s theme focuses on areas of environmental interest in the county. A geocache are items hidden in a container that you have to go out and find. Sort of a global hide and seek! Join the fun!
*** You must have all 20 code words in your passport to receive a geocoin.***
All the cache sites are in Indiana County and are a series of 20 geocaches you don’t want to miss.
To participate, pick up your Passport at:
(Our trackable geocoins can be found at these locations as well once the passport/ geotrail has been completed)
Or you can download a passport here to print out and take with you. The best way to print it is on both sides if you can that way it prints out as a small booklet for you to have. Once you get to the print screen the option to print double-sided will appear as well as printing in black and white if you choose not to print in color. The download passport does look a little different than the printed passport so it is a little easier and quicker to download.
Thanks to the Indiana County Office of Planning and Development for the help in creating this map!
WHAT DO I NEED TO GET STARTED?
- It is recommended you create an account on geocaching.com Accounts are free and easy to do. Once you have an account you will not only have access to all our cache sites but geocaches all over the world.
- You can find all the sites on our Coordinates and Links page
- A handheld GPS device or smartphone with the geocache app.
- An official passport, found at the locations listed above or downloaded from this we site’
- When out searching for geocache sites check the weather, dress for the weather, and plan ahead. Be safe, smart and respect your surroundings.
HOW DO I USE THE PASSPORTS?
The passports will give you the site names, a place to list the code word you find and a few questions you can answer after finding all the sites. Each of the 20 sites will bring you to a place in the county exemplifying one of five themes: water, land, wildlife habitat, sustainability, and healthy community. In the cache you will find information about the site and a code word that should be written in your passport. Once you’ve found all 20 caches and filled out all 20 code words, bring you passport to any participating location to receive your very own trackable Indiana County GeoCoin.
Hope to see you on the trail!
Once you have completed the Indiana County Ecotour GeoTrail, we would very much appreciate if you could fill out the survey below.